Classmates Who have Served us in the Military


Home ] Central ] Reunion 2016 ] Prior Reunions ] Alumni ] Recognition ] Memories ] Music ] Lost Classmates ] Our Deceased ] TomTom ]
Last updated 01/06/16            Hit Counter

Awards Books and Writing Avocational Businesses Athletics Military Family

Back Next

Those who have served us deserve our greatest of appreciation.
This work has just begun and it will take some time to gather
information on all those wonderful men and women
who accepted the possibility of great risk for us.

Christian N. Seger, Lt.(j.g.) United States Navy Reserve, 1960-1964

Entered United States Navy Officer Candidate School, Newport, Rhode Island; commissioned as Ensign, March of 1961.  Proceeded to Underwater Swimmers School, Key West for diving training, which included the classic Mk V deep sea rig, conventional SCUBA, and mixed gas SCUBA.  Qualified as Second Class Navy Diver, rated to 315'.  Graduated first in class.


Following graduation from Underwater Swimmers School, proceeded to Explosive Ordnance Disposal School, Indian Head, Maryland for EOD training. 

The Navy has responsibility for unexploded ordnance below the high water mark of the tide. During this course learned to render safe any known type of conventional, nuclear or biologic ordnance in the world.  Paid special attention to nuclear and thermonuclear devices which were widely dispersed among Navy ships, submarines, and shore bases at that time.

Assigned to USS RAINIER (AE-5) home ported at U.S. Navy Weapons Station, Concord, California.  Came aboard as EOD Officer and during the next two years made three cruises to the Western Pacific as Gunnery Officer and Special Weapons Officer.  Qualified as Officer of the Deck and was the OOD for ship's Sea and Anchor detail. Being at sea for long periods was a remarkable experience.

August 4, 1964 separated from the United States Navy at Subic Bay, the Philippines, just as the Tonkin Gulf debacle was getting started.  Left the ship about eight hours before she sailed for Yankee Station, and thus missed being a Vietnam Veteran by less than a day. 

The United States Navy was one of the most formative and favorable experiences of my life.  The Navy gave me a sense of responsibility and mission at an early age, and introduced me to crucial concepts of discipline, service, tradition, team work, and following the chain of command.  Where else would a 22 year old American be responsible for conning a ship loaded with four thousand tons of high explosive into harbor at dawn.  Or leading a division of enlisted men and petty officers in difficult and demanding duties while at sea and in port.  San Francisco, San Diego, Hawaii, Guam, Okinawa, Japan, and Hong Kong were a few of the ports of call in near and distant lands-- I joined the Navy and saw the world.  Would not trade those four years for anything.


Ernie Halley

I joined the Navy.  The reason I joined the Navy is because I wanted to travel. 
You know, the Navy has ships?  And they go to different countries?
Well, this is what happened to me.
I got out of boot camp, at Great lakes, IL, in May of 1962.  My duty station was Light Photographic Squadron 62(VFP-62), at N.A.S. Cecil Field, FL.  VFP-62 was a large squadron, with about 550 officers and men.  When I arrived at Cecil Field, I found out that my squadron would send out detachments of four officers (with planes), and thirty-five enlisted men with each aircraft carrier that was home ported on the east coast.  VFP-63 was the west coast squadron.  I thought it would be cool.  I would get to take a Mediterranean cruise on an aircraft carrier.  Well, it didn’t turn out that way.  As soon as I arrived and checked in, they found out that I could type.  They assigned me to the Disbursing Office (payroll office), and I never saw a ship.  All of my buddies left for six month Med cruises, and all I did, was wave goodbye to them as they left.  However, shore duty in Florida isn’t all bad. 
I was released early, in November of ‘63, from active duty because there was a teaching job that open for me at Edison Jr. High, in Tulsa. I stayed in the active reserves.  Since I was a teacher, I needed a summer job during the summer of 1965.  I volunteered for three months of temporary active duty.  I was assigned to the Medical and Dental Officers Indoctrination School at the U.S. Naval Academy, in Annapolis.  That was the greatest summer I ever had in my life.
When I moved to the Chicago area, I was attached to a maintenance squadron at N.A.S. Glenview, IL, until I was discharged.  My rank at discharge was Disbursing Clerk 2nd Class (DK2). 

Ray Gross

Current Service Status   Retired USA
Current/Last Rank   Colonel
Current/Last Service Branch  Chemical Corps
Current/Last Primary MOS  74A-Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear
Current/Last MOS Group  Chemical (Officer)
Previously Held MOS
7318-Organic Chemist
7314-Chemical Staff Officer
7315-Chemical Combat Service Support Officer
51S-Research and Engineering
47A-USMA Professor
51A-Systems Development
Service Years 1963- 1992
1963-1964, Defense Language Institute  (Presidio of Monterey )
1964-1964, Fort Meade , MD
1964-1967, 7318, Edgewood Arsenal
1969-1970, 7314, 3rd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division
1970-1970, 7315, 1st Cavalry Division/HQ, 1st Cavalry Division
1971-1971, 74A, Formal Schools/Chemical Officer Advanced Course
1971-1972, 51S, Army Research Office
1974-1975, 74A, US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)/Chemical Demilitarization and Installation Restoration (PMCDIR)
1975-1978, 47A, Formal Schools/United States Military Academy West Point
1978-1979, 74A, Formal Schools/Command and General Staff College (CGSC)
1979-1980, 74A, 45th Support Group
1980-1983, 74A, Department of Defense (DOD)/Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute (AFRRI)
1983-1985, 74A, US Army Criminal Investigation Command (USACIDC)/3rd Region CID
1984-1986, 74A, Formal Schools/Army War College
1985-1987, 51A, US Army Materiel Command ( AMC )/Chemical and Biological Defense Command
1987-1989, 74A, US Army Europe (USAREUR)/V Corps
1989-1991, 51A, US Army Materiel Command ( AMC )/Chemical and Biological Defense Command
1991-1992, US Army Materiel Command ( AMC )


Donald E. Milsten


United States Naval Reserve: 1956-1966


Commissioned Ensign, USNR, June 8, 1960

Honorable Discharge, Lieutenant, October 21, 1966


·         Four years NROTC, Cornell University

o   2 months summer training aboard U.S.S. Oriskany CV (aircraft carrier) 34, San Diego, CA.

·         Active Duty:

o   1 month: Fleet Gunnery School in San Diego, CA

o   24 months: U.S.S. St. Paul CA (heavy cruiser) 73.  Homeport: Yokosuka, Japan (entire time aboard in the Far East).

·         Most notable memories:

o   Steaming at general quarters and condition 3 in the Taiwan Straits for month to deter Chinese forces during the Laotian “crisis.”

o   Full dress salute and review by President Ngo Dinh Diem of Republic of Vietnam, Saigon, October 1960.

o   Port calls in Honk Kong; Inchon, Korea, Port Swettenham and Kuala Lumpur, Federation of Malaya; Port Jessleton, British North Borneo; Keelung, Kaohsiung & Taipei, Taiwan; Subic Bay and Manila, Philippines; Okinawa; and numerous ports in Japan including Beppu, Iwakuni, Kobe, Port Otaru at Hokkaido, Nagasaki, Sasebo, Yokohama and, of course, lots of major and smaller cities inland throughout.


·         Active reserve duty (Jackson, Michigan), October 1963 – August 1996

·         Now a life member of the U.S.S. St. Paul Association









Ralph Holmes

Military Service History

Graduated from high school in 1956 along with my brilliant twin brother, Mark. He went to Princeton (where our father graduated along with a movie star named James Stewart. Dad and James were good friends and were two of the six yell-leaders in 1932) while I was lucky enough to enroll at Oklahoma A7M. I was a baby of 17.

In October 1957 after discovering It was no longer A&M but State, my interest in higher learning declined rapidly and I enlisted in the Army. Following basic training at Fort Chaffee , AR I was trained, literally, to Fort Jackson , SC for advanced infantry training. While there I was selected to attend Infantry Officer’s Candidate School at Fort Benning , GA.   This was October 1958.

After satisfactorily completing the six-month course I graduated in April 1959 as a Second Lieutenant.  (The Army didn’t have Third Lieutenants.)  My ‘Tac” or Tactical Officer was First Lieutenant “Dutch” Passailiague, an immigrant from German-occupied Holland as a child. I was still a baby of 20.  Served as the Commanding Officer of a basic training company at Fort Leonard Wood, MO: D-3-3.

Returning to Tulsa in September of 1959 I enrolled at The University of Tulsa graduating in April 1963 with a degree in English Literature and Minors in History and Geography. While at TU I joined the National Guard and renewed friendship with a fellow CHS graduate: Ed Wheeler. Our initial assignment was with the infantry company in Claremore: Ed was the CO; I was the XO. It’s been like that ever since. Later I became the CO of the company headquartered in Broken Arrow .

In 1964 I was transferred to San Francisco , CA with Shell Oil Company. I remained in the National Guard and commanded the only infantry company in the SF area at Fort Funston . In 1965 my company as alerted for “combat” (Here we come, Vietnam.) but to my surprise we were flown to Van Nuys , CA to participate in the Watts riots. Loved the work more than I enjoyed the oil business and ended up enlisting the following year for active duty. At this time I was a captain.

In July 1966 I reported back to Fort Benning as in instructor in the Ranger Department. My courses assigned were long range patrolling, ambush and counter-ambush techniques and, most importantly, the Evasion and Escape Course, a mandatory class for all officers at that time. As fate would have it, one of the students taking the course was . . . Captain Ed Wheeler.

After a year of Benning, the jungles of Viet Nam called and I was assigned to the Third Brigade (Ace of Spades) of the First Infantry Division stationed at Phouc Vinh in the Iron Triangle. Staff work became boring so I volunteered for a combat assignment and was selected to initiate a new military program within MAC -V (or Military Assistance Command – Viet Nam ) known as the Mobile Advisory Team concept. The planning initially started with ten units. Mine was MAT -8. The program was later expanded country-wide to more than 200 individual teams.

MAT -8 was initially assigned to the small hamlet of Tam Binh on the Mang Thit Canal , the only waterway in the Mekong Delta region heading north from the rice fields to the markets in Saigon . This turned out to be a major ‘highway’ used by VC. Our five-man team worked directly with the District chief and his troops including regular military and forces of the Regional Force – Poplar Force (also known as Ruff-Puffs).  During the TET offensive of January 1968 we were trapped in Tam Binh; we couldn’t get out and the Commies couldn’t get it. Standoff lasted for about a week.



Our team was later relocated to Phu Quoc island off the southwest coast, closer to Cambodia than Viet Nam . A Special forces “B” team was already on the island and we were renamed from MAT -8 to A-441 and issued funny French hats. In April 1968 I was med-evacuated to Hawaii with a severe case of dysentery and malaria. I was hospitalized for over three months, earning the Silver Stallion Award for the number of inspections endured. I wanted to return to my unit but the doctors told me this was not advisable and my enlistment was terminated.

Tulsa called again. So did the National Guard . . . . and once again I found myself serving with Ed Wheeler as his XO. Family concerns took priority over monthly weekend meetings and I resigned from the service in 1974.

Ed and I still ‘work’ together at the David Moss Criminal Justice Center in Tulsa with the Investigations and Security section. Ed is a Reserve Deputy Sheriff and was selected as the Reserve Deputy of the Year 2010. I’m still following him!

Fred Benford


Fred Benford's Military and Semi Military Service

Semi Military: What do you mean by “ SEMI ” military service Fred some will say. 

In January of 1962 I joined the American Red Cross for Service at Military Installations, USA and Foreign.  I wanted to serve in Germany .  As a Field Director at various military installations we were the “go-between” for the service man and woman and those families at home.  For example if there was an emergency at home the family contacted the Red Cross who in turn contacted the proper authority (usually medical personnel) to verify the emergency and then notified the Red Cross stationed at the military installation who contacted the service man or woman and the commanding officer and if necessary arranged emergency leave and transportation back home.  The same was true if service personnel received word from home of a problem.  They contacted the local Red Cross office who then contacted the local Red Cross chapter who contacted the family to determine if an emergency if there indeed was a problem.  Many times there was not a problem, just poor communication on someone’s part and counseling was needed.  My first assignment was at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio , TX .  After 13-months I was then assigned to the 3rd Marine Division in Okinawa .  I was married 88 days and left on a hardship tour which all Marines had to endure for a period of one year without family.  After my year was up I got a plum assignment in Hawaii with the Navy.  This was 1964.  In the summer of 1965 the Viet Nam war heated up and I volunteered to go to Viet Nam for 6-months which would have been the end of my maximum 3-year overseas tour.  Then on to the Air Force in Big Springs TX and then to the Army in Kokomo, ID, and when I found I was going to be reassigned to Viet Nam for another year after being back in the USA for only a year so I resigned and joined Bell & Howell as a salesperson. Excellent choice!  

Real Military: After I graduated from Northeastern State University I attended graduate school for one semester.  I never thought of getting a draft deferment as I did for four years while in regular collage.  We did not have ROTC at NSU and I did not want to be drafted for two years into the Army.  I heard that the Air Force Reserve was by far the easiest service and you could even serve less than 6-months than the Army National Guard required.  I applied to the AF reserve but was told that there was a three month waiting list.  I called my draft board and they told me that I had only weeks before my number was up so I joined the Army National Guard for 6-months.  Did my basic training in the middle of the winter at Fort Leonard Wood, MO and then on to Communications School in Fort Gordon , GA where I was fortunate enough to graduate first in my class which was hopefully get me the rank of PFC in 8-months instead of the normal 10-months.  As it was we all gained the rank of PFC in 12-months for some delayed reason.  The decision to join the Army National Guard instead of the Air Force Reserve was a good one.  When I returned from my 6-months active duty, the local Air Force Reserve unit was called to active duty for 2-years.  This was the Berlin crisis. 

When I moved to San Antonio , TX I then transferred to the Texas National Guard.  When I was transferred to Okinawa of course there were no National Guard or Reserve units so I went on an “inactive reserve” list.  When I went to Hawaii I failed to advise the army of my move and they thought I spent all my time in Okinawa so I was free of attending meetings.  But then they caught me in Kokomo , ID.   I received a letter from the Secretary of Defense and my draft board saying that they found out that my Army papers appeared to be lost and that I was to be drafted “A-1 PRIORITY.”  This was soon after I returned from Viet Nam .  I wrote Okinawa, found my paperwork, contacted my draft board, cried on their shoulders and finally got out of being drafted, but was put on one additional year of inactive reserve (seven years instead of six).  This was 1967 as the war was heating up.  Basically I stayed in the Army 7 ½ years and got out with the rank of PRIVATE FIRST CLASS!

ED WHEELER:  Buck Private to Brigadier General (USA-Ret)

To understand the foregoing line, you need some background.

As some of our classmates know, I was a member of the TCHS Rifle Team. 

And, believe it or not we DID have both a rifle and pistol team.  So … what does that have to do with a military career?.

In the civilized era of “Happy Days” in which we matured, we marksmen would bring our .22 CALIBER RIFLES AND PISTOLS TO SCHOOL every Wednesday. At 15, I rode to school on my bike; with a Remington 513TL beavertail rifle strapped across my back with mounted Olympic Redfield sights !!   Upon arrival I secured it in my wall locker until that evening; when the team met in the Girl’s Gym and practiced shooting at targets mounted on bullet traps. 

The only problem I had was that each team member had to buy his own ammo.

I made the sacrifice, but that didn’t leave me much to finance dates or entertain the first love of my life, Sally Sue Plumer.  In any event, there were times when I had to scrimp the $1.00 it took to buy the two boxes of .22 Long Rifle Remington ammo, so that I could fire the required 100 rounds every Wednesday. Eventually, my Grandfather willed me his 1940 Packard and I began leaving my bike at home, but I still BROUGHT MY RIFLE TO SCHOOL EVERY WEDNESDAY for three years until we graduated. 

Then an Oklahoma National Guard Staff Sergeant promised me that if I signed up in the Tulsa-based infantry battalion, he would guarantee me all the free ammunition I could shoot. The old armory on 15th Street even had a rifle range, and I could use it whenever I wanted to.  When I brought up the issue at home, my mother almost had an elephant!  My Dad who was a retired NYC Cop. a WW II veteran and a man of few words said to my distraught mother, “… He can handle it.!” 

So the next day I raised my right hand and I became an official ‘Buck’ Private.  I found myself wearing a bright red and yellow Thunderbird patch on my left sleeve; and the miniature crossed rifles of a newly-minted infantryman on the lapels of my ‘Ike’ jacket.  (To be fair, the OKARNG kept its word.  For as long as I was a Guardsman, I had all the free ammunition I could shoot.)

When we graduated, I won a one-year scholarship to Texas A&M and scored high enough to become a member of the Varsity Rifle Team, won a Varsity Letter as a “Fish” (Freshman), and became the Southwest Conference Individual Champion.  The scholarship ran out and the next year I was left with two choices, become a roughneck in the Odessa oil fields or transfer from the USAR to the Army.

After five years as an enlisted man, I went to an OCS Class that began with 230 candidates at North Fort Hood, TX.  Nine months later, I graduated with 22 others and we were commissioned 2d LTs of Infantry, which included our classmate Roger Brannon.  In addition, over  the next 3½ decades, I managed to graduate from almost every promotional school an infantryman could attend including the U.S. Army War College (Class of 83’). Within that period, thanks to Uncle Sam, I had also been to everything from tornado destroyed Oklahoma towns and the McAlester Prison Riot to  more than two dozen foreign countries including Northern Ireland, Scotland, Paraguay, Uruguay, Germany, Korea, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, etc. ad nauseum  

During that time, I had the privilege and honor of serving with, or running across CHS classmates in uniform such as:  COLONEL JOHN GETGOOD (ARMOR); COLONEL CLIFFORD CANTRELL (COMBAT ENGINEERS); CAPTAIN  RALPH HOLMES (INFANTRY); 1ST LT ROGER STALLINGS (INFANTRY) and 2d LT ROGER BRANNON (INFANTRY). I feel confident there were dozens more who served our country, but the circumstances under which I met some of our classmates were truly amazing because they were totally unexpected.

I can’t imagine anyone either reading this far or who is interested in the details of what happened to cause me to end up where I did, so I will edit it out and conclude with this. On the 35th anniversary of my enlistment at the end of Desert Storm, I hung up my uniform and tacked up on my wall a certificate, signed by the Secretary of the Army.  It acknowledged my retirement as a Brigadier General (U.S. Army).  


Carl Washburn

A short summary of my military career is already provided in my bio which you have included in the Tom Tom section.   Although I am very proud of my military career, I can’t provide much detail because most of my work was classified.  As noted in my bio, I did have a few years of flight duty on board RC-135s shown in the attached pic.  I did not fly or navigate that aircraft, Dotty.  I was the commander of crewmembers who flew on it.  I did wear a set of crewmember wings and flew several hundred hours very near target countries such as the former Soviet Union, North Korea, China, and Viet Nam.  There was some risk of being shot down or crashing.  Fortunately, none of that happened to me.  I enjoyed my years as a sergeant when I used my Russian language.  However, I most enjoyed the two tours as a commander after being commissioned.   Most of the second lieutenants who worked for me have since made full colonel and retired.  Kinda dates me, huh?  Sorry I don’t have more photos, but most of them and my videos as well were stolen by one of our moving companies.  Let me conclude by saying that my heroes are the guys and gals who were and are on the ground in harm’s way every day.  Many  have paid their dues in the form of losing their own lives, the lives of family members, jobs, marriages, etc., some of those are CHS grads.  My compliments for including the Military section in the website.  Maybe we’ll hear from some of the other ex-military folks as time goes by.    

LT. (SC) USNR Historical Note, November 1957: During my first year at the University of Oklahoma, I took a competitive examination for appointment to the United States Naval Academy. I was awarded the Principal Appointment to the Naval Academy by U.S. Senator (Oklahoma) Robert S. Kerr. Unfortunately, due to a condition of visual myopia, I was unable to accept that award to attend the Naval Academy. December 1961: Enlisted in the United States Naval Reserve – Plan to enter the U.S.N Officer Candidate School. October 1962: Entered the U.S.N. Officer Candidate School (“OCS”), Officer Candidate Seaman Apprentice (“OCSA”). March 1963: Graduated OCS, Ensign, (SC), USNR Transferred to the U.S.N Supply Corps School, Athens, GA. September 1963: Graduated U.S.N. Supply Corps School October 1963: Deployed to the Sixth Fleet, USS NANTAHALA, AO-60 (Fleet Oiler) - Beirut, Lebanon, Assistant Supply Officer (Disbursing Officer). December 1963: Returned to homeport, Norfolk, VA, Second Fleet. January – August 1964: Fueling operations with various Task Groups in the Virginia Capes area off the east coast, continental United States. September 1964: Promoted Lt. (jg), (SC), USNR and transferred to USS BLANDY, DD-943, (Destroyer) as Supply Officer, completing ship’s overhaul at U.S.N. Yard, Boston, MS. January 1965: Deployed to U.S. Naval Base, Guantanamo, Cuba, refresher training in the Caribbean Sea. March - November 1965: Returned to U.S. Naval Station, Norfolk, VA., Second Fleet Operations in the Virginia Capes area. December 1965: Deployed to Sixth Fleet, Naples, Italy – Mediterranean Operations. March 1966: Released from active duty and returned to the continental United States. March 1968: Promoted to Lt., (SC) USNR September 1968; Honorably Discharged from the United States Naval Reserve.


Ken Kastl



Allen Keenan



Jim Matthews


Bob Gorance

I actually started my military service as a cadet in the Civil Air Patrol while I was attending Roosevelt Junior High School. Some of you may recall seeing a few of us wearing our uniforms to school a time or two. The CAP is an auxiliary of the Air Force. Made it up to 2nd Lt. As a cadet, and was awarded the CAP certificate of Proficiency. This award is earned by passing about 4 days of testing on weather, radio procedures, aeronautical theory, and a bunch of other subjects. The test is pretty huge, and quite a challenge for us youngsters.

I enlisted in the USAF in January of 1961 after failing the eye test portion for the Aviation Cadet Program. I had passed the AFOQT, and the full battery of other tests easily. No flying for me, RATS! Went through basic at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, TX. Here is where I got lucky. I saw some strange machines and asked a sergeant what they were. I was told that they were to test for abilities in morse code. I split the scene as at that time I was copying a good 35 words per minute of morse and had taken typing at CHS. Color me gone! Also got ordered to take the language test and past it easily. I heard the three languages that I could be sent to learn, and graciously declined. I suppose I should have gone through that school and picked up additional college courses, but I had the smell of solder and burnt insulation in my blood and wanted to stay in electronics.

Due to an achievement award from the CAP, I enlisted at one pay grade above Airman Slick Sleeve. Who says money isn't a motivator? Right, a whole 15-20 bucks, or so per month more. We were at Lackland for six weeks and then got sent to Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, TX for 36 weeks of complex teletype message handling systems. During the last few weeks of that school, I was notified that I was being sent to Crypto school back at Lackland for 14 weeks TDY to train on "real" crypto gear. After that school was finished, I was sent to a communications site just outside Kaiserslautern, Germany called Siegelbach. This was one of only 10 major USAF communications centers worldwide.

As I walked in the door to the crypto shack for the first time, I noticed that the equipment wasn't what I trained for. We were told that a new crypto comm center was going to be built there. And it was. Our group had to do the install, set up and commissioning of a major crypto center with over 100 circuits. We did many twelve hour days hooking up all the comm wiring, 110vac electrical, etc. As I recall, we worked several months straight without a day off to complete the job. I was lucky enough to get in on the actual wiring of the signal lines as I had previous cabling and soldering experience through my years of ham radio and 5 years of equipment maintenance at KVOO Radio and TV in Tulsa. Our group built the entire facility starting at least 30 days behind schedule, and we finished 30 plus days ahead of schedule with a fully operational and error free comm center. We were also to install several additional types of crypto gear, and we received additional on-site schooling for those items. I think I spent more time in classrooms than I did operating and maintaining the equipment. Needless to say, security on our site was pretty tight, especially for us in crypto. This once "high speed comm center" is now a huge truck stop just off the Kaiserslautern NW exit of the Autobahn.

The tour in Germany was great, got to travel all over Europe, highlighting the whole adventure was spending a fantastic week at the 1964 Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria. One of the great things of being stationed in Europe was the great museums where I got to see many of things I studied in history classes at school back home. It is quite a nice thing to be able to look directly at the Gutenberg Bible, and one of the actual printing presses he used. The other great experience was looking at the Magna Carta in the British Museum in London. I really miss those times.

I went in the USAF as an E-2, and was discharged in January of '65 as an Airman First Class – E-4 after a single 4 year tour. I returned to a lifelong career of sales and engineering in the radio broadcasting industry, which I still continue to do even though I retired. I'd go bonkers if I didn't stay busy.

Thanks to everyone who served. Best regards, Bob Gorjance

Haven Caldwell

Jim Caldwell

Cliff Cantrell

COL. Clifford Cantrell: ROTC, Special Forces, Ret. Commander-Engineer Group (USAR)

Wilis Clark

John Getgood

COL. John Hale Getgood, Appointed to the U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y,Graduated 1960. 
Commissioned as a 2LT (Armor) and assigned to the 11th Armored Cav.
Regiment. Republic of VN.  
He presently resides as a "Gentleman Farmer" in Floyd County, VA.)

Tom Hawthorn

Paul Henderson

Mark Holmes
Lieutenant Commander, USN, 638787.  That's OUR Navy, BTW!
We're the ones who put the Army ashore (as at Saipan - before my time) and then send in our Marines to save the situation.

Dale Osborn 

He was a Navy Jet Carrier Fighter Pilot and flew in Viet Nam.

Charles R. Wisher U.S. Navy” 1956 – 1967 

I joined the Navy in 1956, left for boot camp in San Diego , California immediately after receiving my CHS Diploma. I remained in service until 1967. 

I served on the USS Bryce Canyon (AD-36), the U.S.S. Providence “CLG-6” Light Guided Missile Cruiser. It was the Flag Ship of the Seventh Fleet, stationed in Japan for two years, and the U.S.S. Haleakala (AE-25), home ported at U.S. Navy Weapons Station, in Concord , CA

I volunteered for underwater EOD School in 1964, received training at the underwater swim school, in Key West , Florida . I continued EOD training at Indian Head, Maryland , where we were trained in unexploded ordnance, both U.S. and foreign made, along with Viet Nam booby traps.I was a senior member of the Underwater EOD Team and assisted in the operations and maintenance of special weapons.  I made two tours to Yankee Station “ Vietnam .”I experienced both danger and excitement during my time with the EOD Team which gave me great respect for our brave service men.

Ports of interest while in the Navy were Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Hawaii, Hong Kong, Guam, Subic Bay, and Manila, Philippines, Koahsiung, Formosa, Okinawa, Kobe, Sasebo, Yokohama, Nagasaki, Tokyo, Yokosuka, Kyoto, Iwakuni, Hiroshima, Japan, Seoul, Inchon, Korea, Saigon, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 

I joined the Navy to see the world, and that I did.  I experienced eleven years of fun and excitement.  It was eleven years well spent, and I enjoyed them all.

Roger Brannon
2LT Roger O. Brannon Enlisted OKARNG, OCS - graduate 1960;
Infantry Platoon Leader, 45th Infantry Division.